Monday, May 1, 2017

Binging and Fasting on the Media

It is hard for me to think back to a time without social media.  Facebook has been around since 2004, Twitter since 2006, and Instagram since 2010.  Every month, it seems like there is a new social media app on the market to interact with.  It has become ingrained within the daily lives of billions of people on the planet, and most of those people would agree it would be hard to give up, even for a few days.  However, with things such as cyberbullying, identity theft, and credit card theft, could spending too much time and giving away too much private information on social media be detrimental? I wanted to know what it was like to go without social media for a few days, so I decided to fast from all forms of social media.  I made it three days.  At first, I was nervous.  What if someone was trying to get a hold of me via Snapchat?  What if I missed a major news article that was posted on Twitter.  However,  I tried to refrain.  It started to become more normal on the third day, so I concluded that giving up social media wasn't all that bad.  However, I didn't want to.  Four days after I gave up social media, I was back on it, binging on all of the Snapchats that I had left unopened, watching FaceBook videos until my eyes wanted to fall out, and reading up on the latest tweets by Donald Trump.  It felt good, like I was back connected with the rest of the world.
I think that this goes to show that social media, while not inherently evil, should be used in moderation, spending more time in the real world rather than the Web.

No comments:

Post a Comment