Friday, April 1, 2016

Filter Bubble Reflection

I never thought about it!

I never thought about my own filter bubble. Now looking at all of my media outlets, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, Flipboard, they’ve been tailored specifically to what I believe or like seeing. My social media profiles cover a range of topics, politics, business, technology, science, entertainment, food, style and so on, however not one shows me something that I disagree with or doesn’t interest me. As I look back on previous articles I’ve read, posts I liked and even the people I follow I noticed all of is like my own personal “Yes Man” stuffed into my smartphone. I can’t believe I’ve never thought about it!

I never realized how cut off I’ve made myself. Before I wouldn’t even consider following a republican, or anyone who liked Justin Bieber. I even blocked people for it. The only true opposing views are from comments other’s left on the same post or article. Looking back, the John Does that would challenge one’s way of thinking, are not the people who appear in my feeds. Now I wonder if my filter bubble is actually hindering my experience by restricting the diversity of content so much, I lack the information needed to make well-rounded decisions.

I would agree that the decline of dissoi logoi within digital media is responsible for an increase in polarization. Even with issues in which one side is generally perceived to be superior to the other, it is important to know both sides of an argument. Probably the most notable example comes from the 2016 presidential candidates. Or how congress becomes more and more divided on issues and legislation, refusing to compromise and leaving problems without solutions. This is extremely problematic because without knowing both sides of an argument we could never figure out an appropriate solution to resolve the issue. Contrary to today’s politician’s belief, it is possible to find some area of common ground between two positions that will produce cooperation rather than simply arguing to win.


We can make engaging in dissoi logoi as simple as following someone with different beliefs on social media. Or by being conscious of our filter bubbles. By knowing the content provided to us is tailored to our own beliefs, we can then seek out other perspectives and information on the subject. To go as far as questioning what we believe ourselves and to realize we’re just human, capable of making mistakes and being wrong. However, by collaborating with people who think differently, we’ll be able to notice the flaws blinded by our own hubris.

No comments:

Post a Comment