Saturday, April 30, 2016

Media Binge and Fast

I thought it was really interesting that we were to do a media binge, and before I started, I didn't really know what to expect. Technology is such a big part of my life that I just didn't know what it would look like to disconnect from it. The bing was certainly the easiest to do, but also a little disturbing. On a typical day, when I am not binging on technology, I usually check my email several times a day, and hope on and off of facebook. Though I myself do not post anything on facebook, I usually enjoy scrolling through my newsfeed and just watching funny videos or clicking on Buzzfeed articles. I decided that I was going to step it up a notch. For my binge, I decided to start a new Netflix show which was a horrible idea in insight. Starting a new Netflix series during death week is just a disaster waiting to happen. I watching two seasons within three days which was a record even for me. One interesting thing that happens was that I was actually still very on top of all my work, or at least the majority of it. I would do what I needed to do during the day, and basically spend the few hours that I had at night watching Jane The Virgin. If I had an hour during the day, I'll watch the show. Basically, any free time I had to eat and sleep, I used it to watch Netflix. After binding for three days, I would have expected to be tired of the internet but I wasn't. I couldn't separate from my phone. The fast was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do and if I am being completely honest, I didn't even finish it. I fasted for a total of eight hours before I finally decided that it was too much of an inconvenience for me. The day was a complete disaster. I was late to everything and forget everything. My phone is my calendar, my alarm, my everything, As sad as it sounds it is true. First, I was late to work because I didn't wake up on time. I had given my phone to a friend so that I wouldn't cheat. I set several reminders on the phone that I forgot because I didn't have it, and I found myself reaching for my phone several time during the day. It could be argued that I gave up too quickly. I probably did. But for me, it just wasn't worth being such a mess for a day. The next time I decide to do the internet fast, I would plan it out in detail in order to actually follow it, but for the time being, I guess I will just continue to rely on technology to facilitate my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment