Monday, April 3, 2017

My Filter Bubble

I always prided myself on being someone that could be friends with anyone. I didn't fit in to just one crowd of people, but many. I accepted people of every race, gender, and political background. My two best friends have different political views than I , and even when we get into disagreements nothing about our relationship changes. As I have gotten older though, I have noticed that people are more open about sharing their political views on social media, and many of the people that I follow or am friends with post about the opposite views of my own. Around the time of the election I found it hard to get myself to check my social media pages in fear of seeing the long, repetitive rants about a certain candidate I happened to be voting for. There were times where I couldn't help myself but to unfriend the people who kept sharing their tangents, and it wasn't necessarily because their views were different than mine, but because it was usually the same people posting about the same things over and over again. But, I also have to admit, the constant bashing of their opposing side of the spectrum was starting to get on my nerves.

Historically, the posts on my feed have been mostly opposing views and less of the views I agree with. Which means I have to search for what fits into my "filter bubble".  I can honestly say I am guilty in liking my "filter bubble" and wanting to stay confined within its walls because it is where I am comfortable; but I think I have room to grow and learn from the people posting about the opposing viewpoints. I think in order to increase my knowledge on the subject of politics I could do a better job of following more pages and people with the same views as mine, but also allowing myself to read the opposing opinions of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment