Sunday, April 30, 2017

Extra Credit Blog Post

To me, the concept of the filter bubble was definitely the most interesting this we discussed this semester. 
As a student who is majoring in both broadcasting and journalism, I am constantly exposed to media whether I like it or not. To be honest, I lean left on just about every single issue. 
That being said, I still make an effort to read news from sources that are stereotypically right-wing, or sources that I may fundamentally disagree with. My Facebook feed is pretty saturated with left-wing news. Posts from places like "Occupy Democrats" and HuffPost frequently appear. Despite my wishes to be exposed to a wide-array of sources, that fact remains that I'm from Minnesota, a state which has voted blue in every single election since Richard Nixon in 1972. That constant liberal environment means that the people I surround myself with also view things from left-leaning sources, and my news feed is inherently biased.
Still, now more than ever, I've recognized the importance of a centrist media, even if those sources are counter to my own political and social ideologies. 
In a time where the media are vilified more than ever before, even by the President of the United States, I've also recognized the importance of the media. Even if I don't like the facts, it's my job to report them. My career requires me to be an unbiased, fact-based reporter, even when it pains me to do so. When it comes down to it, my job is to prove the President and his anti-media sidekicks wrong, even if it means stepping out of my own filter bubble and facing things I fundamentally disagree with.

No comments:

Post a Comment