Thursday, April 6, 2017

Does Everyone Have A Filter Bubble?

Everyone sees things that they don't necessarily agree with on social media. There a 3 different ways that people react to this. One, you can yell and argue back at the person's comments or post. This often tends to ruin friendships and can lead to future online-quarrels. Two, you can make the issue vanish by simply unfollowing, un-friending or un-liking the source of the post. This is the most effective way to actually delete the things that you don't want to see. And third, you can choose to ignore and keep scrolling. While all of these methods of coping are somewhat effective, I normally decide to just ignore the talk and proceed with my day. Obviously I have an opinion to bring to the table but I'm not necessarily a confrontational person, so I express my feelings in my head and attempt to carry on with my day.

During the 2016 Presidential Election, all social medias were blowing up for the months before and even after. I didn't have strong feelings about any of the candidates, but I knew that all hell would break loose after the winner was announced. Being "on the fence" about my political party, I just simply sat and observed. After endless tweets, snapchat stories and Facebook blogs, I decided that I was tired of seeing rants about the election as a whole. Whether it was "I'm With Her" or ""Build The Wall", I was sick and tired of hearing of everyones opinion. Because of this, I refrained from using social media accounts as much as I had previously.

To be honest, I have unfriended a few people due to excessive posts about a certain topic because I was tired of my negative reactions to the posts. Reading these posts would put a damper on my day and I would think about it for hours at a time. Sometimes a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

Online, my "filter bubble" consists of music videos, funny cat videos, Pinterest and different clothing stores. So when it comes to actual controversial topics, I hear it all, see it all and experience it all (unwillingly). I'm more of a person to sit back and watch an argument take place, but I'm all for silently taking sides and betting on who wins this nights online-fight. Moreover, I'm the type person who sees a lot of what they don't agree with on the internet simply because I don't ever express how I feel. This makes it hard for me to have a "filter bubble" that represents my personality and beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment