Monday, April 3, 2017

My Filter Bubble

As I scroll down Facebook right at this moment, countless how-to food videos pop up on my feed. I can’t help it, I love to eat! 

I’ve never really been in to sharing my thoughts on Facebook. Maybe when I was an 8th grader, I would occasionally post how tired I was or “so ready for this weekend with my girllllllllsss!”.

Other than that, I keep to myself. I think this also reflects on my filter bubble. I don’t see a whole lot of politics or ideology on my feed because I think Facebook can tell that I just don’t care a whole lot to read other’s posts. I do care about other people’s opinions, but when I make a political action or some other national choice, I try to base my opinion off of knowledge and facts of the matter, rather than the majority of my friends. So I don’t see a whole lot of opinions on my news feed, and even when I do, I usually scroll past the long rants and get back to my food videos. It’s not that I don’t have friends on Facebook that don’t voice their opinions. I don’t unfriend anyone unless they are being very annoying with multiple posts that take up my newsfeed everyday. 

I still do have a filter bubble, though. I’d call it a “classic college girl bubble”. Advertisements pop up on my screen for swimsuits and vacations (even though they should know that I’m poor). The internet can tell that I have been searching for summer clothes lately, but I don’t mind the suggestions it gives. On Pinterest, the pins shape my previous searches of destinations and inspirations. I’m okay that there is a degree of filter bubble on my life. If it were to ever be totally personalized, then I wouldn’t be okay with it. Right now, I can still google with a sense of liberty, and hopefully it will stay that way. 


No comments:

Post a Comment