1. Where does the systematic study of rhetoric emerge? What were some features of ancient rhetorical cultures?
2. Explain the dispute between Plato and the Sophists. What was at stake in this dispute?
3. Palczewski, Fritch, and Ice note that language constructs reality. How so? What are the implications of this claim?
4. What is a terministic screen? How might a metaphor function as a terministic screen?
5. What is resignification? Are there limits to the resignifying of terms?
6. What are some examples of the "misuse" of language? Pay special attention to doublespeak, euphemism, and inflated language.